2/16/11

Striped Overalls and a Jean Construction Hat...

"It’s not that we have to quit this life one day, but it’s how many things we have to quit all at once: music, laughter, the physics of falling leaves, automobiles, holding hands, the scent of rain, the concept of subway trains...if only one could leave this life slowly!" — Roman Payne 


The nice thing (really... a nice thing?!?) about losing your grandparent as an adult is, you don't have to rely on someone else's stories to "know" them. I will never have to wonder who my grandfather was, or what he was like, because I got direct knowledge of him.  I got to see with my own eyes what kind of man he was. I have first-hand experience with his kind and gentle ways.  I will remember his smile and his beautiful blue eyes, because I got to look at them over my 33 years. I will remember the way he said things, what he ate, and what he wore. The little things that make memories live on forever.  Most of all, I'm blessed to have memories of my own children with him.  Hopefully, my stories will help them remember how special their great-grandfather was.

Yesterday, after I held his hand and gave him a kiss, I told him I'd see him later, and you know what...I will.  I love you Grandpa Ross!